Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Classes Begin

I just finished up with my first week of classes! I only am only living on campus Monday through Wednesday, so I have a short week in St. Paul. For my first semester I am taking 4 classes including Reading the Audiences, Telling the Story, History of the Early Church and online Greek. Today we also met with our discipleship groups. This is a group that we will stay with for the entire span of our programs, so its great to get to know these people. Most of these people are also juniors (first years) in the Masters of Divinity program like me.

Yesterday, I had Church History and Reading the Audiences. My Church History class is taught by Dr. Farog, who is a coptic nun. This brings an interesting perspective to the class considering that a lot of early Church history takes place in Northern Africa. Reading the audiences is a class that looks at demographics and statistics to gage what the makeup of a congregation consists of, as well as the city or town around the church. The idea is that if you know more about the people in your church and in your area, the better you can serve and reach out to them. This has proven to be the most interesting class to me so far. Its very hands on and discusses approaches to ministry that may work well in a given setting.

Overall, the first week of class was good! Its still very overwhelming in a sense due to all the new people, places, classes, and ideas. Being able to go to chapel and worship has kept me grounded amidst all of the transition. God is good, all the time, and in every new place!

Peace,
Jami

No comments:

Post a Comment