Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Theology Bon Appetit

I have the week off of class this week for Holy Week/Easter. Mother nature is also celebrating Holy Week with an upcoming snow storm in Wisconsin! Hopefully there will be some sunshine for the weekend. Although I do not have a vacation planned for my week off, I have been taking a theological vacation. Instead of my normal theological studies I have been trying my hand a few new activities including cooking. Most of you probably know I'm not a big cook, so this a big step! My husband Chad is quite pleased with my latest dabbling.

I've been trying a new recipe each night. Last night I made a salsa chicken dish. Miraculously, it turned out fabulous! Tonight, I am trying spaghetti with meatballs. Cooking can really be therapeutic when you have the time to enjoy it. Being creative in the kitchen reminds me of how we are co-creators in this world. (Okay so maybe I can't completely take a theological vacation!) We have the freedom to work with God in shaping this world that God created. That's an awesome task!

Although there are pros and cons to commuting to Seminary, I do think it's a benefit to have a separate place to come home to, to do my studies and reflect. It reminds me that theology can never be done in a vacuum of academia. We live in the ordinariness of life and that's where we need to hear God's Word most. If theology ceases to be relatable to people lives.... what is the point? As God's children we need to look to see God's presence in our everyday lives, the ordinary moments, and in each stranger we encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment