Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thoughts on the Small Catechism

It is required for two of my classes this semester to memorize Luther's Small Catechism. The classes are: History of the Church the Reformation period, and Lutheran Confessions. After growing up Catholic, I have officially been Lutheran for about 5 years. I've picked up Lutheran theology in bits and pieces from undergrad religion studies, weekly worship, leading confirmation at Trinity, and various other sources. So as a relatively new Lutheran I did not have any of Luther's Catechism memorized. But it seems that I am not alone even among lifelong Lutherans. Many of my Lutheran friends have confessed to me that they don't remember much of anything from the small catechism, which they haven't studied since they were 12.

(Granted... Luther's catechism is by no means the only available and suitable resource for teaching the basic parts of the Christian faith, however its fairly standard in Lutheran Churches.) So this leads me to the question: Why are we only teaching this stuff to people in middle school and then considering it good? How much do you remember from when you were in middle school? Frankly I remember more about the boys that I liked than what I learned in church or school.

Just some food for thought that I will take with me in my continued studies and hopeful pastoral work. I'll leave you with my favorite part of the catechism's explanation, the third article of the Apostles Creed.

I believe that I cannot by my own understanding or effort believe in Jesus Christ my Lord, or come to Him.
But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with Her gifts, and sanctified and kept me in true faith.

(Pronoun change is mine, that's for another blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment